A fifteen hundred dollar ($1500.00) scholarship through the NU Foundation Crompton/Diaz-Perdomo Scholarship Fund is available through Student Involvement’s LGBTQA+ Resource Center at UNL.
Purpose of Award
The purpose of the award is to provide financial support to LGBTQA+ students attending UNL and to encourage continuing education for self-identified LGBTQA+ persons.
- UNL undergraduate students who are attending UNL during the academic year that the scholarship is provided, with preference to those who demonstrate financial need as defined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Recipients will be enrolled or participating in one or more of the following:
- The LGBTQA+/Sexuality Studies minor
- A member of Spectrum
- A member of another recognized student organization (RSO) for LGBTQA+ students at UNL
- LGBTQA+ Resource Center volunteers, student staff and/or supporters at the LGBTQA+ Resource Center at UNL.
- Applicants must submit a completed application with required supporting materials.
- Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
The scholarship is valid only for one academic year (fall and spring semesters). The scholarship will be $1500 with a tuition credit of $750 being applied each semester toward the recipient's centralized billing account. The student will be required to carry a minimum of 12 hours per semester in which the scholarship is provided. Recipients' names will not be kept confidential as the recipient's name is included in announcements about the scholarship.
Application and supporting material for the scholarship are to be submitted by the deadline March 16, 2018 . The scholarship will be awarded for the upcoming academic year. Information will be kept strictly confidential (except for the recipient’s name).
You can submit your application electronically or you can print out the form and submit all materials requested to the LGBTQA+ Resource Center, 346 Nebraska Union, Lincoln NE 68588-0453.
For more information call the LGBTQA+ Resource Center (402.472.1652) or Pat Tetreault, 402.472.1752. The recipient will be announced at the annual Lavender Graduation and Chancellor’s Award Reception in April. The event date is on our event calendar and for 2018, the event will be on April 19, 2018, 5 – 7 PM in the Wick Alumni Center, 1520 R ST.
Criteria for Judging Applications
- Supportive of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Asexual and Ally community.
- Demonstration of integrity and honesty.
- Participation in LGBTQA+ community activities (please refer to the eligibility requirements).
- Preference will be given to students with demonstrated financial need.
Applications will be considered only if the following is received by the LGBTQA+ Resource Center by the deadline posted online (during the spring semester prior to the academic year for which the scholarship is awarded). Applications may be accepted after the due date if a recipient has not been chosen.
Include the following:
- Completed application form
- Your NU ID #
- Documentation of membership in Spectrum, another LGBTQA+ RSO at UNL, or enrollment in the LGBTQA+/Sexuality Studies minor (a letter from Women’s and Gender Studies or verification of participation from the RSO Leadership) or as a volunteer at the LGBTQA+ Resource Center
- Release of Information Form (on following page)
- One letter of recommendation (sent by your references) sent to email@example.com or upload the letter with the online application.