Forming a New Recognized Student Organization: Before Beginning
Before beginning the process of establishing a Recognized Student Organization (RSO) at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL), the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska (ASUN) suggests that students consider the following issues to most effectively organize their organization:
- How are you going to define your organization?
- What will be the goals of your organization?
- How do you plan to accomplish the goals?
- Will the organization be affiliated with a department or office on campus?
- Do you know of a faculty or managerial/professional staff member at UNL who
would be interested in serving as an advisor for your organization?
- Are there other students you know who would like to join?
- What benefits will this organization offer its members?
- What type of involvement commitment will members need to make?
- What is unique about your organization?
If students can answer these questions, then they are ready to begin the formal recognition process. If new organizations are unclear about some of these issues as they relate to the proposed organization, stop by Student Involvement to discuss the organization further.